Thursday, December 27, 2012

Day 27- Satisfied with fruit for breakfast

I have been eating a big fruit salad every morning for the past 27 days or so, with about 3 whole fruits (pear, apple, banana, or orange) chopped up, and sometimes hemp seed, sometimes sunflower or pumpkin seeds, sometimes walnuts or almonds. My goal was to eat the fruit first, then eat any type of grain if I was still hungry (oatmeal, toast, cereal with almond milk, etc). At first this felt strange to eat fruit first- I was accustomed to eating cereal to fill me up, and then a little fruit afterwards. But after a big bowl of fruit & nuts, there is not much room for anything else. And since eating this way, I have started to feel amazingly satisfied with simply fruit & nuts for breakfast.

So, I think the key is to eat your fruits & vegetables first! That way you will make sure you get them, and they will fill you up so you won't have much room for the other processed, sugary, chemical-laden food you may be used to eating.

Another thing is that in order to get more nutrients from vegetables without consuming so many (which is hard to do), I plan on juicing. So I will have a cup of juice in the morning (I will include some fruits too, such as apples) and then have my breakfast. Can't wait to get a good juicer soon!


***Update 1/3/13:
Although I loved eating my fruit salad for breakfast, it took awhile to chew it all up. And since I have a toddler and an infant, I don't have the luxury of sitting down to eat for a long time, so I would usually take my bowl into the bathroom and have bites in between showering and getting ready for the day. Sometimes I even had to finish eating it in the car on the way to our playgroup or other errand. So when I read about Fruit Porridge in my my book "Raw Food" by Erica Palmcrantz, I realized I needed to try it out.

Porridge didn't exactly sound exciting and delicious when I first read about it. Sounds like that boring stuff the 3 bears ate in the woods. But it's anything but boring. Basically you take a fruit salad (plus nuts/seeds) and blend it up in the food processor to whatever consistency you like. I like to add ground flax seed & sunflower seeds to mine. The fruits can vary from day to day so you have a good variety for your taste buds. The very first one I made was this:


Winter breakfast porridge





1 orange
1 pear
1 banana
1-3 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
1-3 Tbsp sunflower seeds
a sprinkle of craisins


My latest favorite:

Goji Sunshine
(wow, you can almost feel the light and energy of the goji berries radiating from this picture!)

2 oranges
1 banana
1 apple
1/4 cup goji berries (soaked 20 minutes)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds

To sum it up...

Fruit porridge- wow! It's so simple, yet so flavorful & satisfying! Way tastier than plain old oatmeal, and my body feels energized and ready for the day. 

I used to get this feeling in my head after breakfast- when I used to mostly eat cold cereal with milk. My head hurt, not like a headache, it was more of a dull ache and I felt tired and sluggish. I had tried eating different foods to see if it would go away, but I never found anything until I started eating just fruit & nuts/seeds for breakfast. Maybe it was the sugar in the cold cereal, or something in the milk. Whatever it was, it is gone now, and I'm so glad that I can finally start my day feeling great!


2 comments:

  1. Just made Winter Breakfast Porridge this morning. WOW! Delicious and it is 11:00am and I still feel satisfied and full from 7:00am. I have had so much energy and love this dish. Thank you for all of your great meals and recipes. Seriously I have been needing a blog like this to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! I don't think I can go back to cereal and milk for breakfast after eating fresh fruit for the past month and a half. The nuts and seeds give it so much protein too- it is even MORE than a bowl of oatmeal (1/4 cup nuts/seeds is about 6-7g of protein, oatmeal is 3-5g)! And by eating them raw you are getting so much more nutrition than a cooked grain. I'm happy that you are enjoying the blog. Let me know if you have any suggestions for posts or anything that would be useful to you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete