Monday, January 20, 2014

Why You Should Start Using Coconut Oil


The current research is showing that coconut oil is pretty amazing. I love how versatile it is and how many different beneficial properties are in this stuff.

I find myself reaching for it several times a day, and have multiple containers throughout my house and car. Because of this, I am cutting way back on personal care products, eliminating unnecessary and harmful chemicals from entering my body, and spending less money as well.

Please research it for yourself. You can click here for an article about the Top 10 Evidence-based Health Benefits of Coconut Oil, to get you started.

I currently use it in these ways:

Personal care/beauty:
As eye makeup remover
As face moisturizer
As body moisturizer (however in the winter, I still use a natural lotion since my skin can get so dry, but this is all my kids need most of the time)
As lip balm (I put it in squeezable containers and stick in my purse)
As deodorant (since it is an antibacterial- I use this and only this and it works great! Note: If you are using a commercial brand of deodorant, and switch to coconut oil, your body will go through a detox period of about 1-2 weeks where you will have pretty bad body odor since your body is releasing toxins that have been built up from your antipersperant. Just remember, "this too shall pass"! And when it does, it feels great to be free of all those chemicals and using something totally natural that actually works. )

Food:
Use to make coconut oil candies
Use instead of butter: On toast (I like to add cinnamon, jam, or a little honey), on brown rice, quinoa or other cooked grains (adding other spices too for a yummy pilaf), etc
Use as cooking oil: To saute vegetables, to grill pancakes, etc
Use in baked goods: Such as in muffins or quick breads (such as pumpkin)

Home remedies:
If I get a cut, a canker sore, or anything like that, I will frequently apply coconut oil. When I have done this, I seem to heal quickly.

What's your favorite way to use coconut oil?

5 comments:

  1. Skimming your blog and the 4 most recent posts are exactly the things of been thinking I wanted to learn more about! Thank you so much! Can't wait to try them all! Did you serve those b-day treats at the party? That would be the real test- if other people's picky kids will eat them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Marinda. So glad to hear that my blog is helpful to you! I did serve them at the small party we had. I've been thinking about your question. The thing about that "test" is that some kids are used to eating sugar, processed food, fast food, etc, so their taste buds and bodies crave that stuff and real food won't taste as good. If a kid is used to McDonald's milkshakes (sugar, artificial flavors, and all), he won't like a real fruit smoothie as much. Or kids used to chocolate frosting from a can- they might be expecting this frosting to taste the same and when it doesn't, they might decide they like the other stuff better. My kids aren't use to much sugar, and we use carob (which is caffeine-free) instead of chocolate most of the time, so their taste buds are more "appreciative," I guess you could say, of the healthier versions of things I make. So to answer your question- most kids ate them, but some of them didn't finish them. I did bring these same treats to a friend who said to me later: "This was the best treat, I've had in a loooong time. It was so good I could not believe it was also healthy." All I know is that my son loved them and I'm so glad because I wanted him to have something he liked at his birthday (and being so picky, that is not an easy task!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For anyone wondering what we are referring to, here is the link (Strawberry Bar Cake with Chocolate Frosting) http://lynleighskitchen.blogspot.com/2014/01/strawberry-bar-cake-with-chocolate.html?showComment=1390718562297

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard of oil pulling? I'd never heard of it until I read this article earlier this week: http://www.designmom.com/2014/01/oil-pulling/

    I'm trying to decide if I want to give it a try, even though I don't love the idea of a big spoonful of coconut oil in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting! I have to try it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete