Saturday, February 23, 2013

Dinosaur Juice

My 3 year old loves Dinosaur Juice. 

In the morning, I wash and cut up a bunch of fruits and vegetables and arrange them on our big cutting board (these include: apples (green and red), oranges, carrots, celery, cucumber, spinach, tomato, broccoli, small piece ginger root, etc). 


When he wakes up, he comes into the kitchen and starts making his juice. He picks what he wants, then puts it in the juicer, and watches the juice come out- it's really easy for him to do and is a lot of fun too. He always reaches for the carrots first, and usually asks if he can have one to munch on. :) 

Today I put some broccoli out and he added some of that to his juice, but then took the rest for himself to eat! (He didn't actually eat it all, but I was happy he even wanted it!). Today when I handed him his juice, I said "Here is your carrot juice!" (because it was mostly orange). Then he looked at it and started crying. "What's wrong?" I asked. "It's not green!" So I went over and put a handful of spinach through the juicer real fast and added it in. :) I didn't realize he liked it green so much! I guess calling it "Dinosaur Juice" the first time was a good idea! 
 
Tate's Special (aka Dinosaur Juice):


2 large carrots (tops cut off)
1 orange
1 small red apple
small handful spinach 
piece of ginger (size of a pinky nail)

(He also likes it when I add cucumber, tomato & a little celery.) 

Important note about juicing:
My son is used to drinking a daily smoothies with leafy greens such as spinach in them, but I still dilute his juice a little, and don't give him too much. I didn't give him a full glass of that juice pictured above, fyi (usually I give him about 1 cup). If someone is not used to eating lots of greens, or even if they are not used to lots of fruits and veggies, I would only give a little juice at first and gradually increase, since it is a lot of nutrition all at once and can have a detoxing affect on your body (detoxing can come with its own side effects such as more frequent bowel movements, headache, etc, since the body is cleansing itself of toxins). If you are going to start juicing, I recommend first increasing your fruits and vegetables and decreasing the toxins you are consuming (from animal products, processed food, etc). After your body has adjusted to that (and you might even experience some detox symptoms from that alone), then adding a juice to your day won't be such a shock to your system, and will be a welcome addition to your already healthy lifestyle. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment