Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 5- New transitional plan

So, I realized that, as much as I want to eat completely raw, my body is being a little stubborn and still wanting to fill up on grains first. So, instead of trying to eat completely raw right now, this is my new plan:

- Eliminate meat and dairy.
- At each meal, at least 50-75% will be fruits and/or vegetables (mostly raw, with lots of dark leafy greens)
- The rest will be grains (cooked) and nuts/seeds (this will give me the protein & fat needed to feel full)

That should make this transition a little easier. And hey, I am still eating "vegan," just not raw. That is still quite a feat!

(Note: Vegans do not eat any animal products (meat, dairy). Since honey is considered an animal product, some vegans do not eat it, and some do. I will be eating honey.)

 With that new plan in mind, I just had this for dinner:



A baked sweet potato with a little rosemary

A modified version of my favorite Super Waldorf Salad
'(with kale instead of spinach & romaine, and no carrots or bell pepper)

A side of Quinoa pilaf
(I briefly sauteed a chopped clove of garlic, added chopped carrots and sauteed for a minute (so they were still crunchy), added a couple shakes of Thyme, Oregano and Rosemary, a little sea salt, and about 2 cups cooked quinoa and mixed well)

Of course, I started eating the grains first. But this meal was extremely filling. And I feel light & energetic, instead of gross & sluggish (such as I feel after eating lots of meat, only carbs, or lots of sugar & artificial ingredients).

I even think my husband might like it. :)

2 comments:

  1. This looks perfect. So cooked quinoa is not considered raw? Anything else that's not raw on the plate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the sweet potato isn't raw. Raw means uncooked (never heating above 113 degrees). I'm sure you know that after foods get cooked their nutritional value goes down, so "raw foodists" consume foods in their raw state which has the most nutrients. (If you're wondering about how to eat grains if they're not cooked- you can sprout them, or just eat them raw mixed in with other foods) I should write a post about this too. Good question.

    ReplyDelete