Sunday, December 2, 2012

Day 2- Green Smoothie & Quinoa Lettuce Tacos

This was my menu for the day:

Breakfast: organic waffle*, banana, blueberries
Lunch: Leftover waldorf salad, adding kale & raw goji berries
Snack: Kale smoothie, Trader Joe's Whole Grain Pita Chips*
Dinner: Quinoa* lettuce wraps & pears for dessert
Snack: Apple slices with Sunflower Seed Butter*, and pumpkin seeds

*= not raw, but I'm still transitioning...

I'm pretty impressed with myself that I am eating so much raw food already and I don't even own a lot of ingredients & kitchen tools needed for a lot of the raw food recipes in my new books.

Here is how to make the Kale Smoothie that I had for snack:


Green Smoothie
Fill blender to the top with spinach or kale.
Fill half way with water.
Add a handful of chopped carrots, 2 bananas, any fresh or frozen fruit you want.
Add flax seed oil &/or hemp seeds.
Add a scoop of Raw Organic Protein Powder (I use Garden of Life brand)
Blend and enjoy! The variations & possibilities are endless!


Our dinner was another personal creation of mine, and turned out fantastic! This was also for my husband who is not necessarily gung ho about "going raw" at this point, and he was also finishing an all day fast. So, it includes Quinoa, which is cooked (and he did add some chicken to his). Although a simple, completely raw version would be to substitute quinoa sprouts (home grown), instead of cooked quinoa. I'm looking forward to experimenting with growing my own sprouts, since I have discovered how highly nutritious they are. I had no idea! And I actually really like sprouts


Quinoa Lettuce Tacos




Ingredients: 
Organic Romaine Lettuce Hearts
Quinoa (cooked or sprouted)
Grated Carrots
Chopped Green Bell Pepper
Olive Oil
Rosemary
Other spices (I will have to experiment)   

Here's what you do:
Wash & separate romaine leaves- they will be your "tortillas" to put your taco mixture into.
Cook Quinoa (and season with rosemary & any other spices) OR use raw quinoa sprouts
Grate carrot, chop bell pepper.
Add all ingredients together & spoon into the leaves of romaine. 
Eat like a taco. 
Be sure to make enough because it is tasty!
 
Have pears for dessert. :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment