Wednesday, December 5, 2012

"How can anyone eat only raw foods???"

Admit it. You've asked yourself that question about someone who has decided to "go raw." 

Don't they get sick of eating so plainly?

How can they get full from mostly fruits & vegetables?

All very good questions.

I really like what Judita Wignall says about this in her book "Going Raw":

"When I first went raw I needed familiar foods that reminded me of the cooked foods I used to eat. I also wanted that feeling of fullness that cooked food gave me, but surprisingly, within a few weeks of being 100 percent raw, I started to lose those cravings and wanted to eat simpler. It wasn't something I even thought about. My body was craving less fat, less salt, less concentrated sugar. My taste buds changed. I didn't need a ton of seasoning, and I started to appreciate the natural flavor of naked food. Almost every raw foodist experiences this phenomenon, and it's actually really liberating. I could spend less time in the kitchen because I was satisfied with a bowl of grapes for breakfast and romaine leaves with tomatoes, onions, sprouts, and tahini dressing for dinner. I still love gourmet raw foods, but I don't need them every day for each meal."

Her book has some very tasty looking recipes, such as South of the Border Tacos, Berries & Cream Crepes, and White Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake. These are all made with raw ingredients, so the cheesecake is obviously not made with cream cheese. Instead it's cashew cream with an actual vanilla bean. The taco "meat" is ground walnuts & pistachios with taco seasonings. The crepes are made with bananas, lemon juice, and cinnamon (in a dehydrator for several hours) and cashew cream. So as you can see, if you have time to make these dishes (and a high speed blender & dehydrator), you can eat lots of "gourmet" raw foods (not just salads & smoothies every day). But it's interesting to note that after going raw, most people's taste buds change and they are fine eating more simply. It's especially interesting that their bodies feel full and satisfied eating a simple bowl of fruit. To someone not accustomed to that, it can seem crazy.

I find great hope in knowing that our bodies simply need a little time to adjust...but they will adjust. And the increased healthy & energy will definitely be worth it.

As someone said the in the documentary "Forks Over Knives" (paraphrasing): Some people may think that being a vegetarian or vegan is extreme. But getting triple bypass surgery multiple times in a lifetime is what is really extreme.

Folks, it's time we take a look at some scary truths: we're living in a very toxic world, with a health care system & government that is not really helping us avoid getting sick. I am no longer going to believe that everything is going to be ok if I eat whatever I want. These days, there are cancer causing toxins everywhere we go. Let's open our eyes & take control of our health. Even making a small change like taking meat out of one meal a day, will make a difference. And slowly but surely, as we take the bad stuff out & put the good stuff in, we will start to feel a lot better. 

So how can anyone eat only raw foods? 

I think the question is, how can anyone NOT want to eat only raw foods? Or, how can anyone not want to avoid triple bypass surgery when they are in their 40s?

P.S. If you have no idea what I'm talking about (why raw foods are so good for you, etc), watch Forks Over Knives and Food Matters (both on Netflix, you can watch most of Food Matters on their website, click on the link I just made) or click here to read my first post about why I am going raw.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited that you're going to be recording your diet- makes it really easy for me to get started too!! I'm most interested in your healthy recipe ideas. I'm not giving up everything but I am definitely going to be incorporating healthier choices. Thanks! Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great- glad I can help! And thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete