Friday, July 12, 2013

Yummy Salad Ideas

I just wanted to share something I've been doing recently that is working out pretty well. Every day in the morning, I make a different type of main-course salad for my husband to bring to work and for me to eat while he's gone. This helps me because it's hard to make my own food when I have 2 hungry kids wanting me to make theirs. And it helps my husband have something healthy to eat at work instead of grabbing the easiest thing possible. It also ensures that the salad he eats is healthy and not drenched in creamy caesar dressing. :)

I put them in a Ziploc container, and keep in the fridge until it's time to eat. Then when it's meal time, I simply grab it out of the fridge, and then and I can focus on my kids' meals.

Here are our current 5 favorite salads:

BBQ Chicken-less Salad
(I mix together all ingredients except for lettuce, and coat with BBQ sauce, then place BBQ mixture on top of the lettuce, so we can mix together when ready to eat)

Zesty Avocado Salad 
(I add beans to this too, and then place the avocado salad on top of a big bed of greens)

Taco Salad: Rice & beans seasoned with taco seasonings (mostly cumin, and a little garlic and cayenne pepper), lettuce, tomatoes, and lots of freshly made guacamole (avocado, tomato, lime juice, salt, cilantro...or for easy guacamole, just mashed avocados mixed with salsa) and/or salsa, topped with organic corn chips (I put the rice and beans in a separate container, so we can add to our salads when ready)

Spinach- Strawberry Salad: Spinach, sliced strawberries, craisins, topped with chopped raw almonds, with a dressing of red wine vinegar, agave, olive oil, and lemon juice
(Note: Since this isn't the most filling salad, we will usually have a side of whole grain pasta with marinara sauce, or quinoa)

Garden Salad: lettuce, carrots, cucumber, bell pepper, tomato, avocado, and a creamy non-dairy dressing such as Annie's organic Goddess dressing (soy based)
(Note: Since this isn't the most filling salad, we will usually have a side of whole grain pasta with marinara sauce, or quinoa)

No comments:

Post a Comment