Monday, May 27, 2013

BBQ Chicken-less Salad



I got the idea for this after eating a BBQ Chicken Salad from Panera Bread. Yes, folks, I actually bought a salad with chicken in it. (I ate a small amount of chicken and gave the rest to my husband.) I thought it was time to have a bite or two of meat, since I'm not totally against eating meat EVER. Just based on what I've read and researched so far, I believe a small amount of meat, very infrequently (aka once a month) won't have any major negative consequences on my health. However, I always plan meals without meat or dairy in them, so that when we are out and I feel like it's time to have some meat (or a very small amount of dairy) that's when I eat it.

Back to this salad. Sorry I'm not giving measurements- I know everyone has different tastes, so you can decide how much of each ingredient you want to put in.

Ingredients:
Romaine lettuce
Black beans
Organic (non-GMO) frozen corn
Orange (or other) bell pepper (organic)
Carrots
Tomato, sliced
Avocado
Chip strips (I made these from whole wheat tortillas, baked for 6 mins on each side at 350)

BBQ Sauce Dressing:

(If there is an organic and natural BBQ sauce, I would probably use that, but since the only one we had was from our food storage and had artificial flavor and color, :( I decided to make some from this recipe in Judita Wignall's book "Going Raw.")

1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked 1-2 hours (but I used tomato sauce instead)
2 Tbsp soak water, or more as needed (I didn't use this obviously)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp tamari
2 Tbsp diced onion
1 Tbsp honey or agave
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 small clove garlic
1 tsp dried mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chipotle powder
1/4 tsp sea salt

Blend until smooth. Then drizzle over the salad and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment