Sunday, January 19, 2014

Strawberry Bar Cake with Chocolate Frosting (vegan)




Since my son has so many issues with textures that makes him extremely picky, he requested a "Strawberry Bar Cake" for his birthday. He doesn't like the texture of regular cake, but he does like these homemade bars that we make. So I whipped up a special batch of our bars, pressed them into cupcakes and a small cake pan, then made some chocolate frosting using melted coconut oil (1 cup), maple syrup (1 cup), carob & cocoa powder (1/2 cup of each), and 4 Tbsp Sunflower Seed butter (since he's allergic to peanut butter)- recipe for the frosting can be found here. I blended this is my Vita Mix although you could use a hand mixer or whisk probably. After spreading the frosting on the cupcakes and cake, I put them in the freezer (or fridge). To soften the frosting, I took them out an hour or two before serving. They were delicious! Perfectly chewy and the frosting was amazing! The best part was that these didn't have any refined sugar in them (besides a small amount in the rice crispies I used), or white flour! And the ingredients used are actually good for you (raw almond butter, coconut oil, raw protein powder, raw oat flour, etc)!


Step 1: Drop a tablespoon of "dough" into your muffin cups.


Step 2: Flatten with a spoon.


Step 3: Add a layer of freeze-dried strawberries.


Step 4: Cover with another layer of "dough."


Frost with your vegan frosting and add sprinkles (all-natural, such as from Whole Foods)

What to do with the extra frosting? I put dobs of it into my mini muffin pan and added various toppings such as almonds (I pushed them in), unsweetened coconut, freeze dried raspberries, and natural sprinkles. Keep these in an air-tight container in your freezer for a great after dinner treat. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment