Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Dinner: Keep it simple

It's good to remember that I don't have to cook a big meal every night just because I want to be healthy and avoid frozen pre-made dinners or fast food. It's possible to eat a simple, yet totally healthy home cooked meal that can also taste great.

Here's my new formula for those nights when I'm low on time:
1- cook a whole grain (boil and simmer on the stove)
2- add some veggies to the pot when it's almost done (but there is still water in the pot)
3- Season and add a little dairy-free butter or olive oil,
4- Have a big salad to go with it
Note: I usually try to add beans to the grain dish or on the salad since they are a great plant source of calcium and iron, not to mention the fiber and protein.

My simple dinner experiment:
So tonight I made quinoa, not knowing really what I was going to do with it. There are countless uses for quinoa (such as warm in the morning with almond milk, cinnamon and dates; warm as a pilaf with cooked veggies and seasonings; cold as a salad with a vinegarette dressing and mango/red pepper  or with citrus dressing and squash/craisins, etc) so I wasn't too worried.

A couple minutes before it was done cooking (it only takes 10-15 minutes total to cook by the way), I ended up throwing in a diced yellow squash and the carrot pulp from the juice I made yesterday. I also added Trader Joe's "21 Seasoning Salute" spices and a couple tablespoons Earth Balance dairy-free "butter" spread (I get the soy free kind).

I paired that with a big salad and we had a wonderful, yet simple and nutritious meal. :)

Nutritional note:
Here is a great article from Harvard School of Public Health, about the benefits of eating good carbs (aka whole grains): http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/ 

UPDATE:

I just found this awesome quote from Brigham Young!

"I believe that we enslave our women; … our tables are covered with every delicacy and variety that we can think of… I do not believe in mixing up our food. This is hurtful. It destroys the stomach by overtaxing the digestive powers; and in addition to that it almost wears out the lives of our females by keeping them so closely confined over cooking stoves…We can have a variety in diet, and yet have simplicity. We can have a diet that will be easily prepared, and yet have it healthful. We can have a diet, that will be tasteful, nutritious and delightful to us, and easy to digest…” Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses 13: 154

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment