Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Berry Cobbler Bites (with garbanzo beans, and vegan too!)



My son has stopped eating most grains, even his usual staples of rice & toast, but will eat muffins, so I'm trying to get as many muffins going as I can, especially with hidden ingredients such as beans (since he won't eat them plain or in other dishes).

So, I just made these vegan Blueberry Muffins. I omitted the streusel (since my son would just eat that and not the muffin), and instead of sugar, used  2/3 cup raw honey with a tiny pinch of Stevia. I also used 1 cup whole wheat flour, and 1/2 cup white flour (instead of 1 1/2 cups white). They turned out great! But they are not really muffins. They taste like berry cobbler! You could add any kind of berry and it would be delicious. You could probably add peaches too. Yummm....

So here is my version, which I call:

Berry Cobbler Bites

1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup raw honey
1/2 cup garbanzo bean puree
1/2 cup apple sauce
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used Sprouted whole wheat)
1/2 cup white flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup almond milk, curdled with 1 teaspoon white vinegar
10 ounces frozen wild blueberries

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine coconut oil, honey, garbanzo bean puree, and apple sauce, and beat together well. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla. Beat together just until combined. Add the curdled almond milk and beat once more. Fold in the blueberries and spoon into muffin cups (3/4 full).
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown (they will be a bit soft and doughy- that is normal, remember these are cobbler bites, not muffins. And no worries about not being cooked enough- they don't have eggs, remember?).
These are great warm from the oven. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment